Nationality by Option is a benefit that is granted to foreigners who meet certain requirements in order for them to acquire the Spanish nationality.
They will have the right to acquire Spanish nationality in this manner:
– Those people who are or have been subject to the parental authority of a Spaniard.
– Those people whose father or mother had been Spanish nationals and had been born in Spain.
– Those persons whose birth in Spain or whose establishment of parentage (meaning establishing who are the parents of a person) occurs after the age of eighteen.
– In this case, the period to apply for nationality is two years from the date when the filiation or birth is determined.
– Those persons whose adoption by Spaniards occurs after the age of eighteen. In this case, the right to opt exists until the expiration of two years from the date of adoption.